Tuesday, June 1, 2010

2nd post...and still going strong

Ok, I have taken my own advice and googled "magnanimous"... freedictionary.com states that it also means "generous in forgiving" so I will try to keep my rants and raves to a minimum, although there are several unscrupulous organizations that I would like to take a baseball bat to (oops... slipping out of character there a bit)...

Anyways... the Soccer World Cup is almost upon us.. many people are counting on this to bring business into South Africa, and although I have always been a proponent of optimism, I seriously doubt that the World Cup will bring any sort of lasting benefit to South Africa as a whole.  I understand the sentiments of the workers who don't forsee any change in their personal circumstances... when you live that close to the breadline it is difficult to get caught up in the "hype".  Everyday I hear of more and more small businesses having to file for liquidation.  They say that the recession is over but I don't agree.  Most businesses thought we were through the worst and tried to hang on for as long as possible, hoping that things would change, hoping that the World Cup would increase confidence in business, but eventually realised that it was all a pipedream.  Some may succeed, and some may reap huge rewards from the next few months, but for most.. it is a dismal outlook indeed.

Some of you might be thinking that "magnanimous" must also mean "morose" by my tone and outlook on things at the moment, but I believe in honesty and not the rose tinted picture that is portrayed by the media to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment